I can’t believe we’re already a month into 2012! It’s going by so fast. To keep myself accountable (and you informed) I’m going to do a monthly update on my goals and bucket list, as well as maybe a highlight of the month.
So here we go…
- read through the entire Bible – So far, so good. We have been reading two or three chapters (whatever the Bible reading plan says) out loud to each other every day and we’ve finished Matthew, Mark, and are almost done with Luke. There were 3 days that we forgot or were so tired we just went on to sleep, but the next day we got right back on track and got caught back up. I’m really proud of how consistent we’ve been. I also really like reading aloud to each other – I think that forces me to read slower which results in me taking in more of what I’m reading.
- get my healthy lifestyle back, specifically to lose the 20-25 pounds I’ve gained since getting married. – I have lost 7ish (it bounces around but stays in the -6 to -8 range) pounds so far. The first two weeks were good; I lost about 7 pounds. Since then, even though I’ve been eating very healthy, following South Beach, and working out consistently I haven’t really lost any more. However, in the big picture 7 pounds in one month is pretty good (I’m just impatient and sometimes a bit unrealistic and wanted to lose it all in one month…ya know what I mean?). Anyway, so I’m definitely on track with my goal of getting my healthy lifestyle back and I’m slowly but surely losing those pounds. Hopefully February will show some movement on the scale.
- make an apple pie from scratch
- take cake decorating classes – I signed up for the beginners cake decorating class at Hobby Lobby, which I’ll attend four nights in March. I’m so excited about it!
- learn how to make Mom’s homemade Christmas cookies
- make 72 hour emergency kits for our home and cars
- make my own laundry detergent
- bake a loaf of homemade bread
- make a quilt – I have purchased and/or borrowed the materials I need for the January blocks of the month and hope to get working on that this weekend.
- grow something
- can pickles
- take some sort of vacation
- get at least one scrapbook done for my in-law’s
- ???start an Etsy shop???
Other notable things:
- I started my last class for my masters! I can’t believe exactly a year ago I was starting the first class of my masters program and here I am with only one class (120 practicum hours + a portfolio) and a PRAXIS test left before I’m done. So excited about graduating in May! I didn’t walk at my undergraduate ceremony but I’m for sure walking for my masters!
- I also started back to work part-time as a graduate assistant for the library media education department (the professors who teach my online classes) at Western. So far I basically make copies, file, organize things, help them with their research, and other odds and ends. I’m really enjoying myself (and it’s super nice to be able to go to the bathroom whenever I want, eat lunch without having to grade papers at the same time, and wear cute shoes because I’m not on my feet all day…ya feel me teachers?)
- I started attending a Bible study here in Bowling Green. It’s called Bible Study Fellowship (BSF); it’s an international Bible study so people all over the world are meeting and studying the same topics that we are every week. It meets every Wednesday morning – we meet in a small group to discuss what we studied independently over the course of the week (we have a day-by-day plan with questions about our readings), then we all meet together to hear a lesson about that week’s material. We are studying the acts of the apostles so we are reading and studying in Acts but also other books (for example, when we got to the part in Acts where Paul establishes the church in Thessalonica we read 1 and 2 Thessalonians). The study runs the length of the school year, so I’m kind of jumping in the middle, but I’m still learning so much and really enjoying the study.
- Our house in Lexington still hasn’t sold :(. Maybe February will be the magic month.
- We’ve gotten hooked on The Office. Yes, that’s right, prior to this year we had never watched it (basically we live under a rock) but we started watching it on Hulu, got hooked, bought some of the seasons on dvd and borrowed some from a friend, and now we’ve been enjoying watching it at night. It’s hilarious.
- Michael has been setting up his ham radio and talking to people from all over the place. He’s also taken over the guest room/office/storage room/craft room with the ham radio stuff which is putting a bit of a cramp in my crafting…(just kidding babe, I’m glad you’re having fun). But seriously, I’m so ready to be out of this townhouse! I’m tired of being woken up at 6:00 on Saturday mornings by our loud neighbor yelling on her phone (our walls are so thin that we can here the little beep her iPhone makes when she plugs it in to charge)!
- My hair is getting really long and I just don’t know what to do with it. Keep it long? Cut it short? Decisions, decisions. Maybe I’ll go all Biggest Loser and grow it out really long until I get to my goal weight and then get a cut, sassy makeover cut. Or maybe not.
- It has been unseasonably warm this January – in the 60s many days. I think I’ve worn a winter coat maybe 3 times all month (that’s a big deal for me ’cause I’m always cold) and we’ve only had one snow (and one snow day – not that it really matters to me as much since I’m not teaching right now but it’s still something that I’m ingrained to care about…)
Anyway, on to February!
(this post brought to you by these weirdos…)