Today is my birthday! I love birthdays! In honor of me living 25 years on this earth I’m going to share with you 25 random things about myself (sorry for those of you who know me in real life, you probably know most of these – I’m not all that interesting).
1. I don’t really like hearts (I make exceptions around Valentine’s) – polka dots and stars are my favorites for sure, but even stripes, plaid, and flowers trump hearts (this applies to clothing, scrapbooking paper, fabric, decoration, jewelry, etc.)
2. I’m the oldest of three – I have two younger brothers; one is 22, one is about to turn 20; both are in college.
3. Even though I grew up in a house full of pets, I don’t really like animals and have no desire to own any pets (my fish was an exception and he only lasted a few weeks so…yeah)
4. Michael and I have known each other since I was two and he was three – when my parents moved to Springfield they started going to the same church as Michael’s family so we grew up together at church and then later went to the same school. Our “how we started dating” story is being saved in my mind for another day, so for today that’s all you get :)
5. My favorite color is pink – my students (high schoolers) think that is hilarious (they always ask me if my bedroom is pink – I’m not sure Michael would be in to that)
6. I have ginormous feet (size 11) but they are still the smallest in my immediate family. And I’m not even that tall (5’7″).
7. My eyes are blue but change colors to varying shades of blue, green, or blue/green depending on what I’m wearing.
8. I have never dyed my hair.
9. I found my first gray hair when I was 15. They’ve increased some over the years but fortunately not so bad that it’s noticeable (I hope!). However, I’m sure it won’t be long until #8 will no longer be true as I try to cover the gray. I’m actually looking forward to it just a little bit because it will give me an excuse for playing around with my hair color.
10. I get such satisfaction from pulling out a gray hair when I find one. Please feel free to reach over and yank one out for me if we’re together and you see one. I won’t think you’re weird, promise.
11. I also really love to pluck my eyebrows.
12. I didn’t see a PG-13 movie until I was 14. My parents were restrictive with TV/movies and I’m totally ok with that (and was pretty ok with that as a child)
13. I’m a huge reader. In 2nd grade I used to get in trouble for rushing through my work so that I could read my latest book. As a teacher now I can hardly bring myself to chastise a child who is reading when they should be paying attention in class because I’ve totally been there and it’s just so great to see kids (especially high school students) reading.
14. I got my undergraduate degree in secondary education in mathematics (high school or middle school math teacher) at Tennessee Tech University in Cookeville, TN.
15. I taught 2 years plus 2 months of my third year before we left Lexington and moved to Bowling Green.
16. Since Kentucky requires all teachers to get their masters within 10 years of starting teaching (and at least half of your hours have to be completed by your fifth year), I had to go back to school to get a masters (not something that I was planning on until we moved to KY). I chose the library media education program at WKU because I love to read (see #13) and it was a 100% online program. Now I’m totally in love with the library and would be so happy to become a LMS (library media specialist). I’ll graduate in May.
17. My dream vacation destination is Hawaii.
18. When I was 15/16 all I wanted to do was to be able to drive. I thought life would be so amazing if I could drive. Unfortunately I was a pretty bad driver so my parents didn’t let me drive by myself even when I was legally old enough. At the time that was devastating. It wasn’t until closer to age 18 that I finally started driving by myself. Now I hate to drive – I will always always be the passenger if given the choice (unless I really think the other person is a bad driver). I especially hate driving in big cities.
19. I bought my first car, a 1997 Toyota Camry, in the summer before college. Whatever money I could come up with (in cash) my parents would match, and that was the amount I could spend. When I finally earned $2500 they matched that, I took my $5000, and bought my Camry. And I’m still driving it today – it’s a great car (although my students made fun of it because the tint is peeling off the windows)
20. I am absolutely terrible at sports. My parents were both very athletic so they expected that their firstborn would also be athletic. They were wrong. I tried just about everything: track, basketball, softball, volleyball. I stunk at all of them. I have so many hilarious stories from those attempts that I can’t even begin to tell them.
21. I can’t stand the sight of blood or needles or even to talk about them.
22. I scar super easily. Every little cut takes a long, long time to fade…if it ever even fades at all.
23. Mosquitos LOVE me. It hasn’t been as bad the past few years (probably because I’m not outside as much), but usually my summers are spent with mosquito bites covering my legs. Which I then scratch uncontrollably. And the bleed. And scar (see #22). Not attractive.
24. My parents called me HP, which stands for House Police, when I was little because I had to know where everyone was and what they were doing at all times.
25. When I was little I said that I wanted to be a “taco seller” when I grew up, aka I wanted to work at Taco Bell because I thought I could eat all the tacos I wanted…I did (and still do) love Mexican food. That never panned out, though…
26 (bonus!). I am a terrible speller. I don’t know what I would do without spell check.
27 (another bonus!). I love tote bags, containers, and buttons. I just can’t resist all three of those things.
So there you have it –
25 27 (I just kept thinking of things!) random things about me. If you made it this far, congratulations, your brain is now filled of useless information about me.
And since I feel like I must leave you with some sort of picture, here’s a picture from a little project I’m working on for my practicum. Enjoy.