This casserole is incredibly quick and easy to whip up, plus it’s healthy!
- 4 chicken breasts (I cut mine into halves to make 8 portions, you can leave them whole if you like)
- 3/4 cup rice (I use brown rice)
- 1 can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 bag cheddar cheese (I use 2%)
- 2 cups frozen broccoli florets
- 1 and 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
Mix the cream of chicken soup, rice, water, black pepper, and onion powder together. Spread in the bottom of a baking dish (11×13?). Mix in the broccoli florets (it’s fine for them to still be frozen). Top with chicken. Cover with foil and bake at 375 for 50 minutes (our chicken breasts were still a little frozen so it took about an hour for ours to cook). Remove from oven and mix in the cheese until melted, then serve.
Makes 8 servings (1/2 chicken breast each) at 240 calories per serving or 4 servings (1 whole chicken breast each) for 480 calories per serving.
This recipe is South Beach Phase 2 (if you use brown rice, not white)
- Like I said this meal is super easy to make, plus you can assemble the ingredients (which takes about 5 minutes) ahead of time and refrigerate, then stick it in the oven when you are ready to cook.
- I’ve said this before, but I am really not a big fan of chicken breast just cooked plain, but I do like it shredded. Michael and I both thought that this would be better if we had shredded the chicken and mixed it in rather than having big hunks of chicken on top. Next time I’m going to try that (and I’ll let you know how it goes).
- I also think that this might be something that could be done in the crock pot (especially since we want to have our chicken shredded and I’ve found that cooking chicken in the crock pot is the best way to get it to shred easily). I’m not sure how the rice and broccoli would do in the crockpot (any ideas?) but I’m going to look in to it. Looks like this recipe may get a total revamping…I’ll let you know!