If you’ve looked at my recipes, you know I love pretty much all Mexican food (except cilantro!), and this soup is no exception. Several weeks ago Mom made this tortilla soup (she got the recipe here) and we loved it when we tried it so I got the recipe from her and I fixed some earlier this week. It is delicious!
you need: crushed tomatoes, corn, hominy, black beans, green chiles, chicken broth, oil, onion, garlic, chili powder, oregano, and chicken (not pictured – it was in the crockpot you see in the background)
Recipe (adapted from here)
- 1 cup onion, chopped (the recipe says one whole onion but Michael doesn’t really like onion so I reduced it to just 1 cup)
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped (or just use garlic powder if you don’t want to use cloves)
- 1 TBSP oil (I used canola)
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 28oz can crushed tomatoes (I had never used crushed tomatoes before – they are almost like tomato sauce)
- 1 can chicken broth
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 1 can whole corn kernels
- 1 can white hominy
- 1 4oz can chopped green chiles
- 1 can black beans, rinsed
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and chopped/shredded
- tortilla chips, cheese, avocado, sour cream, etc. for topping
In a medium pot, heat oil over medium heat. Saute onion and garlic in oil until soft. Stir in chili powder, oregano, tomatoes, chicken broth, and water. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Then stir in corn, hominy, black beans, and chicken. Simmer for 10 more minutes. Top with desired toppings.
(note: the recipe also calls for cilantro but as I said above, I hate the stuff so I didn’t use any)
(another note: this looks very similar to the crock pot chicken taco chili, and they do have some of the same ingredients, but the taste is quite different because of the different spices so make sure to try both!)
This made 10 1-cup servings; each cup is 175 calories.
This recipe is probably South Beach Phase 2 (I’m not 100% sure about the corn/hominy – I don’t think you can have corn on Phase 1, but correct me if I’m wrong)