This week we learned how to make some more flowers out of royal icing. (please pardon the pictures – I have no idea why they all turned out so bad!!)
Rose – this is the second rose we learned (you can see the first one here) and I think like this one better. It’s much prettier and more realistic than the first rose we learned! However, I don’t know if it would hold up being made out of buttercream or would only work using royal icing.
violet – pretty similar to the apple blossom
Next week we put it all together by making and icing cake and then using the flowers we’ve made to decorate the cake. So I went ahead and organized all my little flowers (using my deviled egg container) so they’ll be ready for next week.
Something that I learned this week was that even though the royal icing hardens really fast, you need to leave the flowers uncovered in order for them to completely dry. I stored my flowers from last week in a tupperwear container with the lid on and the flowers were somewhat dry/hard but they weren’t completely hardened and kept sticking to each other. My instructor said that you should leave the royal icing flowers completely uncovered so they’ll harden. I did and it worked! Now they are much easier to handle.