So keeping with the theme of things I’ve never done, let me share my list of 10 popular movies that I’ve never seen. I was pretty sheltered as a child and was not allowed to watch a lot of movies or tv shows (I think I saw my first PG-13 movie at age 14). I am not complaining about that at all and I am actually very thankful that I wasn’t allowed to watch the tv shows and movies that most of my friends saw. However, that means I miss out on a lot of pop culture references since there are so many movies I haven’t seen.
Here’s just a small sampling of such movies:
1. Lord of the Rings – I read the Hobbit in high school (and reading that is the only thing that kept this series off my list of books I’d never read) and it was semi-enjoyable. But I never saw the movies, don’t care to see the movies, and don’t think it’s really my cup of tea.
2. Star Wars – These came out well before I was born, but they are still super popular among many from my generation. I did see a few minutes of one once but I didn’t pay attention.
3. Top Gun – No idea what this one is about, but it seems like it’s quoted all the time.
4. Sleepless in Seattle – Apparently the quintessential watch-on-Valentine’s movie but I’ve never seen it.
5. Princess Bride – What is this even about? I have no idea. But it seems to be hugely popular.
6. Christmas Vacation – Some people watch this every Christmas. Not me. I haven’t seen any of the National Lampoon movies.
7. Forrest Gump – I’m not sure how I survived as a child of the 90s without seeing this, but somehow it happened.
8. Pretty Woman – I’m not at all surprised I haven’t seen this, given the subject matter of the movie, but it’s so famous that I figured it deserved a mention.
9. O’ Brother Where Art Thou – I can actually sing every song from this movie, I think. We had the soundtrack and listened to it all the time, but I never saw the movie. This is most surprising because it is one of Michael’s all time favorite movies and yet I never watched it with him.
10. The Matrix – When I taught math and we’d be using matrices I always wanted to make some witty pun about The Matrix, but since I never saw it (and, quite frankly, am not very witty) that didn’t happen.
Honorable mention (aka movies that technically I’ve seen but wasn’t paying attention close enough to remember the story line or for it to really count as “watching”): Steel Magnolias, Sandlot, Sister Act, A Christmas Story, and Jurassic Park.
I found this list off of the AFIs top 100 movies of all time and I thought it was pretty interesting. I must not be very cultured as I haven’t even heard of probably half of these movies and have only seen nine (The Wizard of Oz, It’s a Wonderful Life, E.T, Snow White, The Sound of Music, Jaws, Titanic, The Sixth Sense, and Toy Story).
Ok, your turn…what movies have you never seen?
(P.S. Don’t hate me for my lack of pop culture knowledge)