I love all things taco and I love a good chicken salad so when I got the hair brained idea to try making a taco-ish chicken salad I figured “why not?” (I very rarely make up my own dishes…I mostly use other recipes that I’ve found or been given)
It turned out really yummy and is super easy to make, plus it’s perfect to serve on a hot summer day!
Seriously. Almost no prep work! Other than cooking the chicken you’re just mixing a whole bunch of ingredients together.
– 5 cups cooked, shredded chicken (I use a package of 3 chicken breasts and that makes 5 cups, give or take)
– 1 can corn, drained
– 1 can black beans, rinsed
– 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
– 2 avocados, mashed
– 1/2 lime, juiced (or more if you prefer more of a lime flavor, I just use a little to keep the avocado from browning so quickly)
– 1 cup sour cream
– 1 TBSP taco seasoning (we make our own using this recipe)
Cook and shred your chicken (I cook my chicken breasts in a crock pot on high for about 4 hours then shred either with a fork for bigger pieces or in my stand mixer for more finely shredded chicken). Combine chicken with all other ingredients and mix well.
This can be served on a sandwich, with crackers, with chips, on a tortilla, a pita, eaten by itself, topping a salad, or many other ways. I like the crunch of the tortilla chips so that’s my preferred way of eating it.
This makes a LOT of chicken salad! It’s perfect to take to a gathering or if you are having guests over but it might be a bit much for one person to eat up by themselves. I have not tried freezing it to see if you could freeze half for later but I think it would probably freeze nicely.
For those counting calories a 1/2 cup serving is 267 calories.